Wrongful Death

We primarily serve the Bridgeport, Darien, Fairfield, Norwalk, Stamford & Westport areas of Connecticut, but can help you with your case anywhere in the state of Connecticut. A Wrongful Death occurs anytime a person dies as a result of an accident.  It can occur as the result of any type of accident (for example, motor vehicle, slip and fall, medical malpractice, or any work-related injury). When a husband or wife dies as the result of an accident, their surviving spouse, or sometimes their children, have the right to bring a claim.

 Most Common Types of Wrongful Death

Usually, the first thing that needs to be done is to open an “estate” at the Probate Court in the city, or town, were the deceased used to reside.  The person that is named Executor, or appointed Administrator, can proceed.  This is usually the spouse or an adult child, and often the person who intends to bring the claim.  The Kaufmann Law Offices will help you do this. Sometimes, we must start by obtaining medical records to determine whether or not there is a good case.  And even when the circumstances of a person’s death clearly indicate the case is good, we still need to obtain the medical records to prove what injuries the decedent sustained.  Only the person named by the Probate Court would be allowed to sign the necessary authorizations to obtain them. Usually, Wrongful Death claims recover money for such things as:  medical expenses, funeral expenses, pain and suffering, loss of the enjoyment of life, and lost income.  A spouse can also claim the loss of services, companionship, moral support, affection, and/or sexual relations. The time limit for filing a Wrongful Death lawsuit is two years from the person’s date of death.  However, when a municipality is involved the law requires you also give proper notice of your intention to bring a claim within a much shorter period of time.

 Wrongful Death Legal Rights, Contact an Attorney or Lawyer

If you think you have a Wrongful Death claim, it is important for you to preserve your legal rights.

Contact us now to get your Free Consultation

(203) 856-4554